Monday, April 20, 2009

Blog Post #3


I shot these portobello mushrooms at the farmers market in Union Square over the weekend. Mushrooms are not my favorite food to eat, but they are among the most intriguing vegetables to look at. They come in many unique shapes and usually have an interesting texture.

I chose to photograph the crate of portobellos because I was impressed with their size and the light was hitting them very nicely. Looking deeper into the many different portion of mushrooms in that specific crate, I found many different inspirations.

I still have not figured out what exactly this frame means. The first thing that strikes me is how it almost deconstructs the mushrrom and displays it without showing a single complete mushroom. There is the stem on the right side, the top in the bottom left corner, and the ridge in the center.

Another thing that draws my attention is the space between the two mushrooms in the middle of the frame. That is where the story of this image begins. I see a body of water separating to foreign lands. I also see shelter for the homeless. I also see a river feeding farmland making it fertile. I also see a forrest getting buldozed. I also see a pile of portobello mushrooms.



--

2 comments:

  1. I like when you take close-up pictures of lots of food. For example, the carrot picture you put in your calendar was one of my favorites. The space in between food when it is all thrown together is interesting. I love an open farmers market! Know your mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Just for clarification, though, mushrooms aren't vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo

Jonathan Meter is a freelance photographer and artist with a keen insight into the human spirit and a unique perspective on the world around him. Jonathan’s vision allows him to see the potential in the mundane and elicit beauty, movement and life from the unexpected. The abstract images Jonathan creates illustrate the integration of music into his work, as he uses rhythm and melody to channel the essence of an object and capture its energy in a still image. Through his photographic art, Jonathan tells his own story, conveying his creative ideas and understanding of the world through the use of color, light and rhythm.

Jonathan’s work is driven by his passion for illuminating his subjects’ past, present and future in a single image. His open mind and natural thoughtfulness allow him to evoke his subjects’ genuine emotions and essential personalities in both posed and candid shots. Fascinated by the relationship between photographer and subject, Jonathan seeks to capture his subjects in the context of their life history, and thereby communicate that history to others through his work. Jonathan grew up in Philadelphia, PA and currently lives in New York City.